Inspired by “Inside the Actor’s Studio,” here are my answers to the Proust-inspired questionnaire that James Lipton poses to every guest:
1. What is your favorite word?
Coffee. (I don’t think it’s my favorite word, but it’s the word for the thing I can’t live without.)
2. What is your least favorite word?
3. What turns you on?
A really good line of poetry or prose.
4. What turns you off?
Feeling like I’m not allowed to express myself freely. (Nothing scares me more than totalitarianism.)
5. What sound or noise do you love?
My sisters and nieces giggling.
6. What sound or noise do you hate?
The screech of New York subway brakes.
7. What is your favorite curse word?
8. What profession other than your own would like to attempt?
Singer/songwriter (if I knew how to play guitar).
9. What profession would you not like to do?
Toll booth operator.
10. If heaven exists, what would you like God to say when you arrive at the pearly gates?
“All of your old dogs are here, waiting for you.”